15. - 18.3.Billinger & SchulzUNLIKELY CREATURES (II) we dance for youPerformance / DanceVerena Billinger and Sebastian Schulz invite us to join them in an arena at the Kunsthalle Düsseldorf. While the audience places itself around the dance floor, six performers make their bodies vibrate and tremble, throw themselves around the space and engage in energetic movement loops. It is a reference to the present: a beautiful, successful point in time with all its ramifications, incompatibilities and vagueness.
3. & 4.3.ON/LIVE - Das Theater der Digital NativesConferenceThere is reality and then there is this thing called Internet. But contrary to what most people think, the analog and the digital world are today interwoven. Separation is no longer possible. The smartphone, which we use to shoot selfies, stream videos on the go and communicate with around the clock, represents this blending of worlds like no other device. The conference ON/LIVE opens itself up to media practices in everyday life and in the arts and deals with this subject in talks and performances.
11. & 12.3.Antje PfundtnerAus der Reihe tanzenPerformance / TanzAs in English, many idioms in German reference the human body. But what was there first, the idiom or the action? Choreographer Antje Pfundtner – winner of the George Tabori Prize 2016 – takes language literally and follows in its footsteps: the result is a choreography for four dancers, which yields to the instructions provided by idioms and proverbs.
The Year 2017A Collective Chronicle of Thoughts and Observations#5 January, 30th – February 6th: Ariel Efraim AshbelWelcome to what is going to be a collective chronicle of the year 2017! This journal will follow the general change that we experience in our daily lives, in our cities, countries and beyond, in the political discourses and in our reflections on the role of artists and intellectuals. Week after week different writers, artists, thinkers and scientists will take the role of an observer as they contribute to this collective diary.
2. - 5.3.Elbers/ZhukovMehr Tote als durch HaiangriffeDance Performance with teensFollowing the successful dance theater production “Mutanten”, directing duo Elbers/Zhukov are joined by a team of teenagers from Düsseldorf as they bring digital perspectives to the stage. How are digital forms of expression used to present images of the self? How does the process of permanent self-reflection change one’s relationship to the outside world? Based on the teenager’s own perspectives and ideas, the dance piece negotiates different identities and their seemingly endless possibilities in the digital world. Say hello to dangerous pictures and impossible self-portraits!
17. & 18.3.She She Pop50 Grades of ShamePerformanceIn Wedekind’s “Spring Awakening”, teachers fail to educate teenagers about sex, because they believe it will ruin them. Today, individual sexual expression has become a social imperative. Images of unclad bodies and sex are omnipresent. The social significance behind them has changed: the concerns remain. Inspired by E. L. James’ erotic novel “50 Shades of Grey” and “Spring Awakening”, She She Pop and guests from the Berlin dance, performance and theater scene has created a reform school in which they take on the role of teachers.